Today is Day 6 of 31 Days of Sewing School.
There may be a short list of required basic materials for machine sewing, but there are lots of other helpful tools that make various jobs easier.
These may be items that you can add to your collection as you go along. As you see yourself grow and develop as a sewista, you’ll figure out which ones would be most helpful to you.
Favorite sewing tools
- Cutting board (for cutting out patterns on)
- Cutting mat/rulers/rotary cutter (for cutting straight lines; here’s a nice starting kit)
- Cut’n'Press portable ironing pad/cutting mat (pictured above– perfect for portable ironing/cutting or for working in small spaces- I love this tool!)
- Multiple pairs of scissors– different sizes, pinking shears (shown in top photo)
- Bobbin holder
- Snaplock storage boxes
- Stiletto (for bulky seams)
- Small trash bag for loose threads
- Marking pens/pencils, hera marker (for marking on fabric)
- Quilting pins (curved safety pins) & Quick Klip
- Small screwdriver (sometimes comes with machine)
- Small crochet hook or large knitting needle (to help turn fabric inside out)
- Needles for hand-sewing and machine (more info coming next week on this!)
- Variety of colors of thread
Various notions to keep on hand
- Buttons in a variety of shapes, sizes and colors
- Elastic (variety of sizes)
- Velcro/hook’n'loop closures (I prefer the non-sticky back type that you sew on.)
- Bias tape, binding
- Ric-rac, lace, ribbon (check garage sales and thrift stores!)
Do you have any questions on supplies? Tomorrow we’ll begin talking about the most important tool for machine sewing- sewing machines!