Written by contributor Krissa Jeldy of More Than Mundane.
Growing up, my family had a tradition of making gingerbread men and decorating one for each person at the table to use as a place card.
I have fond memories of all of us girls sitting together doing our best to make the gingerbread men look their best and even though our decorating skills might not have been the greatest, I love the look they added to our Christmas table each year.
I think these little gingerbread men cookies would be great for gifting to friends at the holidays, or if you want to leave the fun part of making and decorating to them, you can make a gingerbread cookie mix in a jar.
First for the basic recipe:
- 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup sucanat (or can use brown sugar)
- 1/2 cup butter (at room temperature)
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- Optional extra goodies for decorating: raisins, chocolate chips, gumdrops, frosting
Method of Preparation
1. In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cloves, cinnamon and allspice.
2. Mix sucanat and butter until well blended using the paddle attachment on your mixer.
3. Add in egg and molasses and mix until blended.
4. Slowly add in flour mix a little at a time and mix until combined.
5. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
7. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4 inch and cut into shapes using desired cookie cutters.
8. Place on lightly greased cookies sheets and bake for 10-12 minutes.
9. Let cool and then decorate as desired or enjoy as is!
To make a mix for gifting:
1. Combine 2 cups of the flour with the baking soda and baking powder and mix well. Pour into a quart sized mason jar and pack down well.
2. Add in the 1 cup of sucanat and pack down well.
3. Mix together the remaining 1 1/2 cups flour with all the spices and pour into the jar.
4. Include the following instructions on a card:
Gingerbread Cookies~ 1. Empty top layer of jar into a large mixing bowl. Pour middle layer into a separate bowl and cream together with 1/2 cup softened butter, 3/4 cup molasses, and 1 egg. Add the rest of the jar in gradually and mix. Cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour. 2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4 inch and cut into shapes using desired cookie cutters. Place cookies on a lightly greased cookie sheet. 4. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in preheated oven. Decorate as desired.
You can also include a gingerbread man cookie cutter or different goodies for decorating.
What’s your favorite treat to make at the holidays?